Saturday, September 1, 2012
Red vs Red Kick-off 2012 quick hits
* Which team shows up from week to week? That seems to be the question surrounding this years team after a disappointing finish to last season. Will it be the one that showed spurts of dominance like against Michigan State? Or the team that folded with a little pressure, see Northwestern and South Carolina?
* Taylor Martinez will be taking the snap as the starting quarterback for the third straight year. Nebraska's success this season will be directly related to Martinez's ability to run the football. If Martinez remains healthy and a running threat, it will open up the passing game. If defenses are allowed to set back in coverage, expect to see Martinez make the same mistakes as in the past, throwing senseless interceptions.
* It's the final year of Nebraska's Rex Burkhead. Burkhead for Heisman? Unless Nebraska can manage to win the Big Ten Conference title, don't expect to see Rex in New York. He might be the best person in college football player, but without a championship team he won't be it's best player.
* Message to Bo: Get your talented young people on the field. Drop the loyalty and play the best players. Let's see Jamal Turner, Jordan Westekamp, and Imani Cross on the field today.
* Expectations are a Big Ten Conference Championship. Anything else is failure this season.
* The balloons will be missed at Memorial Stadium. I hope it has no effect on the offense's ability to score early and often.
Thanks for checking out Red vs Red.